Bertie slips past First Flight 24-20
After trailing 20-8 in the third quarter of Friday’s Northeastern Coastal Conference 2A varsity football game, Bertie scored two second half touchdowns to pull ahead of First Flight for a 24-20 win.
Bertie’s initial score and two point conversion midway through the first quarter was followed by a 70 yard kick return by Noah Nurney who put First Flight on the score board with 4 minutes left in the quarter. The point after pass attempt failed and Bertie led 8-6.
Near the end of the second quarter, Nurney ran it in from the 11 and another run in on the point after attempt gave the Nighthawks a 14-8 lead at halftime.
First Flight went up another 6 points with 10 minutes to go in the third quarter when McCoy Davenport ran the ball in from the one yard line. The point after attempt failed with the Nighthawks holding a 20-8 lead over the Falcons. After trading punts, Bertie turned the ball over to First Flight on downs.
First Flight’s drive stalled and the punt back to Bertie set up a Bertie touchdown drive. The 2-point conversion pulled the Falcons to within 4 of the Nighthawks and First Flight led 20-16 with about 3 minutes left in the quarter.
In the fourth quarter, First Flight stalled on another drive and gave up possession on downs near the Bertie 15 with 9 minutes to go. Bringing the ball back down field, Bertie scored its third touchdown and a point after pass moved the Falcons ahead for the winning 24-20 score with three minutes left in the game.
The win improved Bertie to a 4-2 record overall. The loss left First Flight with an even 3-3 record.
The next Nighthawks action will be a conference battle in Ahoskie with the Hertford County Bears at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, October 12. The Bears, currently 1-4, lost their last game 53-13 to Elizabeth City’s Northeastern High School.
In 2A varsity football action at Elizabeth City Friday night, Currituck County shut out Pasquotank County 21-0. Scoring in the first, second and fourth quarters, the Knights added one point conversions to each touchdown for the Northeastern Coastal Conference game win.
The next Currituck County varsity football game is another away conference game at Elizabeth City with Northeastern at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, October 12.
Other high school sports action last week included:
• Oct. 4 the First Flight varsity tennis team defeated Currituck County 9-0.
• the Currituck County JV football team lost an Oct. 4 home conference game to Pasquotank County 42-40.
• the Currituck County JV volleyball team won an Oct. 4 conference match against Northeastern by a score of 2-0.
• the Currituck County varsity volleyball team defeated Northeastern 3-0 on Oct. 4 in an away conference match.
• the First Flight JV soccer team won a Friday home non-conference game against J.H. Rose by a score of 2-1.
• the First Flight JV volleyball team won a non-conference match on Oct. 4 at Hertford County by a score of 2-0
• the First Flight varsity soccer team won its Oct. 5 home non-conference game against J.H. Rose 2-1.
• the First Flight varsity volleyball team won an away conference match against Hertford County Oct. 4 by a score of 3-0.
Coming up this week, FFHS will have varsity soccer and cross country teams will both be at Northeastern High School later today, Oct. 10. Then on Thursday the First Flight girls golf team will tee off for 18 holes at Seascape in Kitty Hawk at 1:30 p.m. and the Nighthawks volleyball teams will be at Currituck County High School at 4 p.m.
Friday night Currituck’s varsity football team will play at Northeastern High School in Elizabeth City while First Flight plays host to the Hertford County varsity football team. In Saturday action, First Flight cross country teams will be running at an invitational meet in Kernersville.
Fishing Roundup What a fabulous week of fishing, waves, fun and sun for people to kick off October along these... read more