Annual food drive draws to close
The end of the Annual Island-wide Food Drive is this Thursday, Dec. 31, New Year’s Eve. However, the demands on the Hatteras Island Food Pantry will increase through the winter months. Support for this community outreach may be made by donating either non-perishable grocery items or by making a monetary contribution.
The food items in high demand are tea bags, sugar (small bags), coffee, powdered coffee creamer, cooking oil, pasta sauce (not tomato sauce), canned vegetables including mixed vegetables, creamed corn, carrots and beets (not green beans), and canned fruit (not applesauce).
The following are this year’s collection points where food donations can be dropped off:
– Frisco Market/Rod and Gun in Frisco (daily 6 a.m. – 9 p.m.)
– Our Lady of the Seas Catholic Parish Social Hall in Buxton (24-hr. drop-off box on porch of social hall, not the church)
– Outer Beaches Realty in Hatteras, Avon, and Waves (daily 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
– Surf-or-Sound Realty in Avon (daily 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
– Midgett Realty in Hatteras, Avon, and Rodanthe (daily 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
– Sun Realty in Avon and Salvo (daily 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
– United Bank (formerly Crescom) in Buxton (daily 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
Checks can be written to United Methodist Men and mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Buxton, NC 27920.
A 500 mile walk across North Carolina ended in Manteo just before noon Wednesday, December 23. While police blocked traffic... read more