North Carolina man charged in shooting of off-duty deputy
Published 9:32 am Saturday, January 23, 2021
A North Carolina man wanted in connection with the shooting of an off-duty deputy has been arrested.
Jerry Lamont Harris Jr., of Durham, was taken into custody Thursday at a home in the city, more than two months after the shooting placed him on Durham County’s “most wanted” list, the Durham County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.
The off-duty deputy was driving his own car on Nov. 14 when occupants in a silver sedan fired shots into his vehicle, authorities said. Two other people, Armand Lewis-Langston and Chakera Mangum, were charged in connection to the shooting last year.
The deputy was hospitalized for non-life threatening injuries, and has since returned back to work, Durham County Sheriff Clarence Sheriff Birkhead said.
Harris, 26, faces multiple charges, including conspiracy to commit murder and attempted murder. He was on federal probation at the time of the shooting, authorities said, and has had prior arrests in Durham County.
Harris is being held without bond and is scheduled to make a court appearance on Friday. It was not immediately clear if he has an attorney who could comment on his behalf.