NCDOT suspends most road work for Memorial Day weekend
Published 2:27 pm Wednesday, May 23, 2018
Over the Memorial Day weekend, the North Carolina Department of Transportation will pause most road construction activities that require lane closures on major routes to help holiday travelers have smoother trips. Suspensions will be in effect along most state and U.S. routes from 6 a.m. Friday, May 25 until 9 p.m. Tuesday, May 29.
There will be some exceptions, including continued work on electrical and mechanical repairs along the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge in Wilmington. One of two lanes will be closed for both directions of travel.
Here are some tips for safely navigating the highways during the Memorial Day weekend:
• Leave early to get a head start on your drive. Travel at non-peak hours when possible
• Stay alert. Even if work is suspended, you may encounter narrowed lanes and traffic shifts in work zones
• Be patient and obey the posted speed limit
• Use alternate routes, when possible, to avoid traffic congestion
• Stay informed. Real-time travel information is available at www.DriveNC.gov, by calling 511, or by following NCDOT on Twitter
• Don’t drive drowsy. Travel at times when you are normally awake, and take frequent breaks
• Avoid distracted driving. When drivers stop focusing on the road ahead, they react more slowly to traffic conditions and are more likely to be involved in an accident.
Also, be aware that the highway patrol and local law enforcement are taking part in the annual Memorial Day Click It or Ticket campaign, looking for drivers and passengers who are not using their seat belts.