Statewide ‘Booze It & Lose It’ campaign underway

Published 9:51 am Friday, June 29, 2018

The NC Governor’s Highway Safety Program “Booze It & Lose It” campaign called Operation Firecracker opened June 27 at a kick-off event at the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park.

Operation Firecracker aims to prevent alcohol-related crashes by targeting impaired drivers during the July 4 holiday season. In 2018 so far, 135 people have lost their lives as a result of alcohol-related crashes in North Carolina.

“We want people to enjoy their Fourth of July holiday with family and friends, and we want them to return home safely when the celebrations end,” Gov. Roy Cooper said at the opening event. “Law enforcement agencies will step up efforts to keep our roads safe during Operation Firecracker, and with their help we can prevent crashes and save lives.”

Law enforcement agencies across the state will participate in Operation Firecracker by running sobriety checkpoints in all 100 counties during the July 4 holiday week to help catch drunk drivers and reduce fatalities.

“Impaired drivers are jailed, charged and sentenced in our courtrooms every day due to this dangerous behavior, and it’s high time North Carolinians take a look at their habits behind the wheel and see the consequences they have on our great state,” said Guilford County District Court Judge Tom Jarrell, the Mothers Against Drunk Driving judicial official of the year.

Operation Firecracker is underway now through July 8 across North Carolina.