Revised Dare school calendar published
Due to weather-related school closures during the 2018-2019 school year, Dare County Schools announced revisions to the calendar.
Schools north of Oregon Inlet have missed seven days, while schools on Hatteras Island have missed six to date. The NC General Assembly in Senate Bill 2 has forgiven the days missed due to Hurricane Florence since Dare County Schools has met the projected instructional hours requirement of a minimum of 1,025 throughout the course of the academic year.
The district leadership team has focused on an amended calendar that closes the gap in instructional time lost in the first semester.
The following changes are reflected in the revised calendar:
- Oct. 26 is now a full instructional day
- Jan. 18 is now a full instructional day
- Jan. 22 is now an instructional day
- The end date of first semester has moved from Jan. 18 to Jan. 25
- March 28 is now a full instructional day
- March 29 is now an instructional day
- April 22 is now an instructional day
- May 24 is now a full instructional day
- June 14 is now an optional teacher work day
- Some report card, end of quarter and interim report days have been altered
The revised calendar balances both semesters and nets a gain of five full instructional days. In addition, winter holiday and spring break vacations remain intact. Lastly, this plan allows some flexibility if needed in the second semester, should more weather-related closures be required.