Thanksgiving week events on Hatteras Island
Published 5:36 am Monday, November 25, 2019
Lots of events are happening on Hatteras Island this Thanksgiving week.
Chicamacomico Life-Saving Station kicks off the week with a live Beach Apparatus Drill, the last of the 2019 season. The historic drill, by tradition, occurs at 2 p.m. Regular admission applies.
The week continues with a Pig Pickin’ for the historic station. At noon, barbecue will be served up at the Rodanthe-Waves-Salvo Community Building at 23646 NC 12, Rodanthe, directly across from the historic life-saving station. $12 for the barbecue.
For the final event at the station, Santa arrives and visits with children from 1 to 3 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 29. Admission is a contribution for a local food pantry.
If you would like a homemade pie for Thanksgiving go to the Toys for Tots Pie Sale from 9 a.m. to noon. Frisco Rod and Gun, 53610 NC 12, Frisco. Proceeds purchase Christmas toys for Hatteras Island children.
On Thanksgiving Day, the Eighth Annual Surfin’ Turkey 5K and Puppy Drum Run happens in Hatteras village. Start times are 8 a.m. for 5K. 9 a.m. for Drum Run. The starting place is the Hatteras Village Civic Center, 56658 NC 12, Hatteras. This charity event happens in rain or sunshine. Proceeds benefit Hatteras Island Youth Education Fund, which is dedicated to helping elementary and secondary schools students on Hatteras Island. Turkey costumes are welcome. Teams can participate, too. On-site registration for 5K, $45; for fun run, $25. Information is available at hatterasyouth.com.
On the two days after Thanksgiving, many visit the annual Hatteras Island Arts and Crafts Guild Holiday Show. That show has been cancelled due to recovery from Hurricane Dorian at Cape Hatteras Secondary School.
Hatteras and Ocracoke guild member artists have found other Hatteras Island locations for a Holiday Art Show Trail.
– Light House Holiday Show. Thursday and Friday, Nov. 29 and 30. 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Some 30 Guild artists will display and sell items. Buxton Family Life Center, 48733 NC 12, Buxton, across from tennis courts at Cape Hatteras Secondary School.
– Art Studio Holiday Open House. Thursday and Friday, Nov. 29 and 30. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 53282 NC 12, Frisco. Art by Linda Meyer Browning, Guild artist.
– Empty Nest Studio & Gallery, 52193 Hwy. 12, Frisco. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Nov. 29 and 30. Guild artist Crystal Blackmon.
On Hatteras Island., two Black Friday Art Shows are scheduled:
– Swell Art Gallery, 51689 NC 12, Frisco, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Guild artist Vic Lowe and Ocracoke artists.
– The Shops at Stowe on 12, 56910 Hwy. 12, Hatteras. 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Guild and Ocracoke artists.
On Saturday, Nov. 30, a Blessing of the Animals is set for 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Rodanthe-Waves-Salvo Community Building, 23646 NC 12, Rodanthe. Free, fun-filled family event. Pastor Tim Fitch with Fair Haven and Clarks Bethel United Methodist Churches will be speaking and blessing pets. Hatteras Island Pet Resort brings free treats for pets. Music, “pawtraits” and candid photos available. Outer Banks SPCA is bringing adoptable animals.