• 79°

FEMA approves North Carolina request to provide housing alternatives for those who need to quarantine or are at high risk for COVID-19 illness

Wednesday morning, April 8, Governor Roy Cooper announced that North Carolina has received approval from FEMA to provide housing alternatives, such as hotels, motels and dormitories, for North Carolinians with unstable housing who may need to quarantine in response to or are at high-risk for severe illness from COVID-19.

“North Carolinians without stable housing still need places to go if they have a mild case of COVID-19 or need to quarantine after being exposed to the virus. These types of alternatives will help people who have no other safe options to self-isolate or social distance while we slow the spread of this virus,” said Governor Cooper.

The state will work with local partners to provide more than 16,500 units of individual housing in dormitories, hotels, trailers or other facilities to:

– People who test positive for COVID-19 and need to be isolated but do not require hospitalization, including those discharged from hospitals.

– People exposed to COVID-19 and identified by a health care professional as needing quarantine but do not hospitalization.

– People needing social distancing as a precautionary measure, as determined by public health officials, particularly for high-risk groups such as people over 65 or with certain underlying health conditions such as respiratory illness, compromised immunities or chronic disease. This may include those whose living situation makes them unable to adhere to social distancing guidance.

The federal government, through FEMA, will pay 75 percent of the costs associated with operating the non-congregate sheltering program. North Carolina will pay the remaining 25 percent. Funding includes the cost of all supporting infrastructure, such as electricity and waste disposal, as well as other services such as laundry, food, cleaning and security.

The press release from the governor’s offices states that hospitality industry and other private-sector partners will be critical in facilitating the non-congregate sheltering program. Businesses such as hotels, motels, colleges, universities and other large-scale facilities that may be able to serve as non-congregate facilities can email BEOC@ncdps.gov.

To learn more about North Carolina’s response to COVID-19, visit ncdhhs.gov/coronavirus.

READ ABOUT MORE NEWS HERE.

RECENT HEADLINES:

Voting rights disputes in virus era spark court battles

Manteo meeting: It’s a new era

News

Woman pulled from surf, pronounced dead at North Carolina beach

Lifestyles

North Carolina Beach Buggy Association members gather for annual meeting

News

Million-dollar Powerball ticket sold in Elizabeth City

News

Regional COVID-19 case numbers continue to go up

Crime

North Carolina man charged after toddler left in hot car dies

Crime

FBI campaign to raise hate crime awareness in North Carolina

News

Audit: NCDOT spent less than planned, but risks remain

Business

Worker advocates seek more state aid as federal benefits expire

Crime

Thrown brick at North Carolina protest results in prison term

Crime

Child in critical condition after shooting that also injured mother

Lifestyles

Hatteras Island Cancer Foundation 5K going virtual

Business

Two employees die at eastern North Carolina plant

Crime

Police: North Carolina man shot on front porch has died

Lifestyles

Scuppernong River Festival to bring music, entertainment and more to downtown Columbia

Crime

North Carolina man sentenced to seven years in prison for methamphetamine, firearm charges

Crime

Second man charged in toddler’s shooting death in North Carolina

News

UPDATE: Silver Alert canceled for Kill Devil Hills man

News

Southern Shores votes to allow changes to Marketplace shopping center

News

Dare commissioners oppose rufa red knot habitat designation

Lifestyles

Applications now being accepted for Artist Support Grants

Lifestyles

Alice Kelly Memorial tournament: A fun day on the water for a good cause

News

Investigation underway into two deaths on Roanoke Island

News

Duck Town Council meets new employees

Business

Celebrate your favorites: Nominations for Coastland Gold awards closing soon