• 45°

Lt. Gov. Dan Forest says impending lawsuit against Gov. Roy Cooper isn’t political

By Gary D. Robertson, Associated Press

North Carolina Lt. Gov. Dan Forest said Monday his impending lawsuit against Gov. Roy Cooper for unilaterally closing businesses and mandating face masks due to COVID-19 isn’t politically motivated, despite their November election matchup.

Forest, a Republican, said at a news conference the Democratic incumbent has failed to seek or receive support for a half-dozen executive orders since March from the Council of State. That began with a March 17 ban on dine-in restaurant services.

“This lawsuit is not interested in the substance of Gov. Cooper’s orders,” Forest said at the Legislative Building. “In times of crisis, the rule of law is more important than ever. We must do the right thing in the right way. No one — governor or citizen — is above the rule of law.”

Cooper and his administration have said he has other authority — citing several laws — to act on his own without the council’s “concurrence” to protect health and safety. The 10-member council is composed of Cooper, Forest and eight other statewide elected officials. Six council members are Republican.

Forest has been one of Cooper’s most vocal critics about his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, in particular issuing statewide directives shuttering business and capping attendance at mass assemblies. The closings have contributed to double-digit unemployment. Some sectors are still closed three months after his first stay-at-home order.

The lawsuit accusing Cooper of violating the state’s Emergency Management Act actually hasn’t been filed. Forest’s office said it will happen as soon as paperwork is finalized allowing him to sue without using the state Attorney General’s lawyers. In a letter to Cooper last week laying out his case, Forest wrote there was a conflict of interest because Department of Justice attorneys helped draft the executive orders being challenged.

Other lawsuits filed by business owners challenging Cooper’s executive orders as violating the state constitution have been unsuccessful to date. Forest said his lawsuit isn’t a political move.

“There’s nothing politically expedient about suing the governor,” Forest said. “My office motto, my team model, has always been always to do the right thing, no matter what the cost or the consequence.”

Still, it gives Forest media attention after Cooper has been routinely on television since the spring at COVID-19 briefings. Cooper’s campaign had a massive fundraising advantage over Forest entering 2020.

Cooper campaign spokesperson Liz Doherty called Forest’s upcoming litigation a “sham lawsuit” that shows Forest “refuses to put the health and safety of North Carolinians first and simply isn’t ready to lead. Partisan politics have no place in pandemic response.”

While executive orders in May have allowed many businesses to reopen, Cooper declined last week to ease restrictions further, citing increasing case and hospitalization numbers. Cooper also ordered that people across the state wear masks or other face coverings in public. Forest said a more regional and pinpoint approach is needed to target outbreaks, rather than punish areas of the state where the number of cases are minimal.

North Carolina state health data shows about 63,500 people have tested positive for COVID-19 as of Monday based on over 886,000 completed tests. Well over 800 people testing positive are currently hospitalized, and 1,325 people have died since the pandemic began.

There’s been pressure from businesses and conservative activists upon Republicans to attempt overturn Cooper’s current orders. Cooper already has vetoed two bills that would reopen bars and gyms.

Five other bills remaining on the governor’s desk reopen bowling alleys, skating rinks and amusements, and even prevent Cooper’s outdoor assembly limit of 25 people from canceling local July 4 parades and fireworks. One of the bills also attempts to make clear a governor must get support from a majority of council members for any statewide emergency of at least 30 days and for closing businesses.

READ ABOUT MORE NEWS AND EVENTS

RELATED:

Tourism Board approves 2020-21 budget

Tourism Board approves 2020-21 budget

News

Man brandishing rifle shot by police in North Carolina

News

North Carolina promises more vaccines for providers hit by shortfalls

News

NC jobless aid office addressing millions in overpayments

News

Man hits two deer with new car, then discovered he hit $2M in lottery

News

Dare County budget amendments aim to help county employees

News

Local photographer sparks debate over mysterious flying object in the night sky

News

Teen sustains life-threatening injuries in Kill Devil Hills crash

News

The magnificent frigatebird, a rare visitor to the Outer Banks

Lifestyles

Dare County Library announces virtual enrichment series

News

Manteo returning to subscription-based recycling service

News

Federal report says pandemic hit seafood industry hard

Hyde

UPDATED: Hyde County man fatally shot while duck hunting Monday afternoon

News

Large-scale events in other parts of NC mean fewer doses of COVID-19 vaccine for Dare and other counties

News

Transition to mass vaccination sites irks NC health systems

Crime

Sheriff: Two North Carolina children abandoned in Mississippi; one dies

Crime

Kill Devil Hills man charged with gun violations

News

Grandma’s lucky numbers win Sampson County woman half of Cash 5 jackpot

News

NC-bound plane returns to gate after being hit by bird during takeoff

News

North Carolina, Catawba tribe ink casino revenue agreement

Currituck

Currituck Extension offers on-demand cooking and food preservation classes

Hyde

Hyde County Schools announces 2020-21 Beginning Teacher of the Year

News

North Carolina field hospital helps fight coronavirus surge

News

New coronavirus variant shows up in North Carolina

News

North Carolina weekly gas price update: Prices down slightly from last week