Over 200,000 meals donated to Food Lion neighbors in need
Throughout the 2020 fall college football season, Food Lion Feeds partnered with eight colleges and universities to help feed local neighbors in need. During the season, for every quarterback sack made by the participating college, Food Lion Feeds donated 1,000 meals to the school’s local food bank through the Sack to Give Back program.
“At Food Lion, we care about nourishing our neighbors in need, and we were cheering on each school to rack up as many sacks as they could this football season,” said Jennifer Blanchard, director of community relations for Food Lion. “We’re proud of the hard work these student athletes did on the field to ensure our neighbors do not have to worry about where their next meal will come from this holiday season.”
Participating colleges and the number of meals donated through their team’s sack totals are:
- Appalachian State – 23 sacks, 23,000 meals donated to Second Harvest of Northwest NC Food Bank
- Clemson University – 30 sacks, 30,000 meals donated to Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina
- East Carolina University – 15 sacks, 15,000 meals donated to Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina
- Liberty University – 26 sacks, 26,000 meals donated to Blue Ridge Area Food Bank
- North Carolina State University – 30 sacks, 30,000 meals donated to Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill – 30 sacks, 30,000 meals donated to Inter-Faith Food Shuttle
- Virginia Tech – 30 sacks, 30,000 meals donated to Feeding Southwest Virginia
- Wake Forest University – 17 sacks, 17,000 meals donated to Second Harvest of Northwest NC Food Bank
For more information, visit Food Lion Feeds.
By Bob Sutton, Associated Press Elissa Cunane scored 13 of her 18 points during No. 4 North Carolina State’s explosive... read more