Fireworks return to Manteo for July 4th – maybe
Published 2:07 pm Thursday, February 11, 2021
The Manteo Board of Commissioners has approved an expenditure for the July 4th fireworks show on the Manteo waterfront. Last year’s fireworks were canceled when the pandemic forced restrictions of gatherings with large crowds.
Manteo town manager James Ayers told commissioners although it is hoped a fireworks display can be held this summer, he has no indications when large crowd restrictions could be lifted or eased.
The contract with Pyrotecnico Fireworks Inc. allows the town to cancel the contract with a 30 day notice without penalty. The town would be allowed to postpone the fireworks until a future date in 2021 or 2022.
The manager told the board that Pyrotecnico Fireworks Inc. performed well at two events held in 2019. The contract cost of $48,750 is the same as last year and it includes barge fees. The town is receiving credit for the prior (2020) deposit of $18,000 and a $3,500 discount credit reflecting a partial refund of last year’s cancellation fee.
Reflecting on the pandemic, Mayor Bobby Owens said, “I hope we can have July 4th fireworks move on with life.”