Kill Devil Hills Planning Board approves parking request for hotels and motels
Published 10:11 am Monday, February 22, 2021
By Summer Stevens
The Kill Devil Hills Planning Board approved a zoning amendment request on February 16 from Albemarle & Associates, Ltd. allowing stacked employee parking for hotels and motels.
The amendment permits hotels and motels to enjoy the same standards as restaurants for employee parking, allowing for parking to be arranged in a stacked configuration not to exceed fifteen percent of total required spaces, with a maximum of two stacked parking spaces deep. The spaces must have signage designating that the parking is for employees only. The amendment will go to the Board of Commissioners for final approval.
Next, planning director Meredith Guns presented a list of upcoming amendments to the town code for purposes of clarification and new terminology and procedures. According to a memorandum from Guns, some of those changes include:
– Align terminology and definitions of 160D into ordinances including change “Conditional Use” permits to “Special Use” permits.
– Change the procedures of quasi-judicial approvals to include Special Use permits and Certificates of Appropriateness for Historic Landmarks.
– Adopt an expanded conflict of interest for all boards and staff.
– Update the enforcement procedures for town code violations.
– Changes in legislative and quasi-judicial procedure and notification requirements.
– Clarify and define administrative decisions.
– Update vesting of rights for building permits and legislative approval.
The changes will be presented to the Planning Board in March as a comprehensive amendment to all affective sections of the town code.