• 77°

North Carolina woman sentenced to prison, ordered make restitution over $200k for Medicaid fraud

A Greensboro woman was sentenced March 30 to 37 months in prison and ordered to make restitution in the amount of $213,927.55 to the North Carolina Medicaid program for conspiracy to commit health care fraud, according to a press release from the Department of Justice, Eastern District of North Carolina.

According to court documents, Pamela Grace Faulkner, 60, was the sole officer of Skeen Services, Inc., a company with offices in Greensboro, Greenville, Lumberton and Wilson.

“In 2013 and 2014, Faulkner’s co-conspirator, Renee Christine Borunda, submitted over 4,500 fraudulent claims to Medicaid which falsely represented that behavioral health services had been provided to over 190 North Carolinians when in fact the services had not been provided. Faulkner was aware that Borunda was submitting the false claims. They had agreed to split the monies from the fraudulent claims,” stated the release. “Medicaid paid Skeen Services, Inc. approximately $213,927.55 for these false claims by electronically depositing the funds into an account over which Faulkner had control. Faulkner then paid Borunda approximately $144,000.”

Borunda was previously sentenced on November 7, 2018 to 37 months in federal prison followed by 3 years of supervised release for conspiracy to commit health care fraud in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1349 and aggravated identity theft in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1028A.

G. Norman Acker III, Acting U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina, made the announcement after sentencing by U.S. District Judge Louise W. Flanagan.

The North Carolina Department of Justice’s Medicaid Investigations Division (“MID”) and the Internal Revenue Service – Criminal Investigation investigated this case. Assistance was provided by the Office of Compliance and Program Integrity of the North Carolina Division of Health Benefits, EastPointe, Sandhills Center and Trillium Health Resources. Assistant United States Attorney John Parris and Special Assistant United States Attorney Mike Heavner prosecuted.

The MID investigates and prosecutes health care providers that defraud the Medicaid program, patient abuse of Medicaid recipients, patient abuse of any patient in facilities that receive Medicaid funding and misappropriation of any patients’ private funds in nursing homes that receive Medicaid funding. To report Medicaid fraud or patient abuse in North Carolina, call the MID at 919-881-2320.

The MID receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $6,160,252 for federal fiscal year 2020. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $2,053,414 for FY 2020, is funded by the State of North Carolina.

READ ABOUT MORE NEWS HERE.

RECENT HEADLINES:

Federal judge denies release for Jeffrey MacDonald, former Army officer found guilty in ‘Fatal Vision’ murders

North Carolina man sentenced for armed robbery of convenience store

News

NTSB report: Witness reported helicopter landing in field before fatal crash in Albemarle Sound

Currituck

Ben Stikeleather stepping down as Currituck’s county manager

Hyde

Cape Hatteras National Seashore opens Ocracoke Island Discovery Center

Crime

North Carolina man sentenced to 30 months in prison for attempting to set police vehicle on fire

News

Parental consent for children’s COVID-19 vaccine included in legislation approved by NC Senate

Currituck

‘Honorary grandmother’ of Corolla wild horse herd dies

News

Motorcycle crash claims life of North Carolina man

News

North Carolina lottery sales bring in record haul for education

Crime

Kill Devil Hills man sentenced to over 10 years in prison for cocaine charge

Lifestyles

Assembly of Praise to hold children’s event Saturday

News

Manteo department leaders report on prior month’s activity

News

Kitty Hawk recreation master plan gets vote of approval

News

Black sea bass fishery opens Friday

Crime

North Carolina police looking for man accused of running over driver after stealing car

News

UPDATED: Kayaker dies off Haulover Sound Access north of Buxton

News

Three shot in North Carolina road rage incident; child among those injured

Lifestyles

GEM: Helping people living with dementia stay home longer

Crime

Teen girl killed in North Carolina hit-and-run crash

Crime

Man residing in North Carolina charged with naturalization fraud

Currituck

Maritime Museum now open in Historic Corolla Park

News

Manteo considers adding New Year’s Eve as town-sponsored event

Crime

North Carolina man sentenced to prison, supervised release for firearm charge

Crime

Former North Carolina game room employee charged in shooting

News

North Carolina lawn mower rider killed in road collision