North Carolina man sentenced to over 12 years in prison, three years supervised release for heroin and firearm charges

Published 10:47 am Saturday, March 5, 2022

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

A Whitakers man was sentenced February 18, 2022 to 150 months in prison and three years of supervised release for distribution of a quantity of heroin and possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime, according to a press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of North Carolina.

According to court documents and information presented at the sentencing hearing, Tony Darrel Pittman, 42, was named in an indictment charging him with distribution of a quantity of fentanyl and a quantity of cocaine base (crack) (count one); distribution of a quantity of heroin (counts two and three); and possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime (count four). Pittman entered a plea of guilty to counts three and four.

According to the release, in May 2020, the Nash County Sheriff’s Office received information that Pittman was distributing various controlled substances in the area of Rocky Mount.

Get the latest headlines sent to you

“Over the next several months, agents investigated the Defendant, and from May through September 2020, a confidential source conducted controlled purchases of fentanyl, heroin, cocaine, and cocaine base (crack) from the Defendant,” stated the release. “The Defendant also sold a .22 caliber revolver to the confidential source.”

When officers attempted to Pittman on July 13, 2021, he attempted to flee and attempted to assault the officer with a broom handle, stated the release.

“Based on information from various sources, the Defendant was held responsible for distributing a quantity of fentanyl, almost two kilograms of heroin, more than two kilograms of cocaine, and more than 700 grams of cocaine base (crack),” stated the release.

Michael Easley, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina, made the sentencing announcement. The Nash County Sheriff’s Office investigated the case and Assistant U.S. Attorney Scott A. Lemmon prosecuted.