Bring flavor to the dinner table with shrimp quesadillas
Published 10:24 am Thursday, July 28, 2022
Is shrimp on the menu tonight? Maybe it should be. Coming in at just around seven calories per medium-size shrimp, this crustacean is low in calories and high in lean protein and is one of only a few dishes that provides the beneficial antioxidants selenium and astaxanthin, according to The American Shrimp Company.
The opportunities for delicious meals with shrimp are endless. For something with a lot of flavor and crowd appeal, try this recipe for a “Shrimp Quesadilla” courtesy of Eastern Fish Company. Plump shrimp are nestled between tortillas and seasoned with familiar Latin flavors, ideal for a fast meal any time.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon vegetable oil, or as needed
6 large flour tortillas
3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1. Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion and red bell pepper in the hot oil, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and peppers are soft, around 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Stir salt, cumin and chili powder into onion and bell peppers.
3. Stir shrimp into mix and cook until shrimp are opaque and no longer pink in the center, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Remove skillet from heat; stir jalapeño pepper and lime juice into shrimp mixture.
5. Heat a skillet over medium heat and brush with about 1 teaspoon vegetable oil.
6. Place a tortilla in the hot oil. Spoon about 1⁄6 shrimp filling and 1⁄2 cup Mexican cheese blend on one side of tortilla. Fold tortilla in half.
7. Cook until bottom of tortilla is lightly browned, about 5 minutes; flip and cook other side until lightly browned. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.