MFC meets in person August 17-18
Published 1:13 pm Tuesday, August 16, 2022
The N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission will meet in person Aug. 17-18 at the Courtyard by Marriott, located at 5046 Henderson Dr. in Jacksonville. The meeting will also be livestreamed on YouTube.
The meeting will begin at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 17 and at 9 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 18.
The commission will hold in-person public comment sessions at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 17 and near the beginning of the meeting on Thursday, Aug. 18. Public comment will not be taken through web conference.
The following information pertains to in-person public comment:
- Those who wish to speak may sign up at the hotel prior to the public comment period in which they wish to speak.
- To accommodate as many speakers as possible, the chair will limit each speaker to three minutes.
- Those making comments will be asked to speak only once, either Wednesday night or Thursday morning, but not during both public comment periods.
- Those who wish to submit handouts to the commission during a public comment period should bring at least 12 copies to the meeting.
The public may also submit written comments via the following methods by:
- An online form accessible through the Marine Fisheries Commission Meetings webpage.
- Mail to August 2022 Marine Fisheries Commission Meeting Comments, P.O Box 769, Morehead City, N.C. 28557.
- Dropped off at the Division of Marine Fisheries’ Morehead City Headquarters Office at 3441 Arendell St. in Morehead City.
Written comments must be received by 4 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 15.
The YouTube link will be posted on the Marine Fisheries Commission Meetings webpage. After the meeting, a recording will be posted online.
Agenda for the Marne Fisheries Commission, Aug. 17 and Aug. 18
Wednesday, August 17
6 p.m. Public Comment Period
Thursday, August 18
9 a.m. Preliminary Matters, including Commission Call to Order; Moment of Silence and Pledge of Allegiance; Conflict of Interest Reminder; Roll Call; Approval of Agenda; Approval of Meeting Minutes
9:10 a.m. Public Comment Period
9:30 a.m. Chairman’s Report
- Letters and Online Comments
- Ethics Training and Statement of Economic Interest Reminder
- 2022 Meeting Schedule
- 2023 Proposed Meeting Schedule
- Commission Committee Assignments
- Elect Vice Chair
- Committee Reports
10:30 a.m. Director’s Report
Reports and updates on recent Division of Marine Fisheries activities, including updates on Federal Economic Assistance Programs, Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council, South Atlantic Fishery Management Council, Shellfish Lease Program, Coastal Habitat Protection Plan and overviews of Climate Change Scenario Planning Workshop and Incidental Tax Permit.
Informational Materials presented on Highly Migratory Species, Marine Patrol Update and Protected Resources Update
Incidental Take Permit Updates
11:30 p.m. Standard Commercial Fishing License Eligibility Report/Set Eligibility Pool Cap
Vote on setting temporary cap on the number of licenses in the Eligibility Pool
Noon Lunch Break
1 p.m. Annual Fisheries Management Plan Review
1:45 p.m. Fishery Management Plans
- Status of ongoing plans
- 2022 Fishery Management Plan Review
− Vote on final approval of River Herring FMP Information Update
- Amendment 2 to the Estuarine Striped Bass and vote on final approval of Amendment 2
3 p.m. Rulemaking Update
- 2020-2021 Annual Rulemaking Cycle
− “Package B” Update
- 2021-2022 Annual Rulemaking Cycle
− “Package A” Update
− “Package B” Update
− “Package C” Update
- 2022-2023 Annual Rulemaking Cycle
− Vote on Notice of Text to amend “Mutilated Finfish” Rule (15A NCAC 03M .0101)
− Vote on Notice of Text to readopt “Marinas, Docking Facilities, and Other Mooring Areas” Rule (15A NCAC 18A .0911) per G.S. 150B21.3A
3:30 p.m. Issues from Commissioners
4:00 p.m. Meeting Assignments and Preview of Agenda Items for Next Meeting
4:30 p.m. Adjourn