Full slate of events planned for Hatteras Island on Saturday
Published 5:26 pm Wednesday, October 19, 2022
On Saturday, Oct. 22, 2022, many Hatteras Island events are scheduled, including:
– At 10 a.m., the Salvo Community Cemetery Re-Consecration ceremony will take place at the Salvo Community Cemetery in the Salvo Day Use Area. Much work has been accomplished in this historic cemetery. The public is invited to attend.
– A super Fall Festival is set for Saturday, Oct. 22 at Frisco Woods Campground.
The festival kicks off at 10 a.m. and runs until 8 p.m.
Find fun for all ages at games, a dunk tank from noon to 2 p.m., a pumpkin patch and a great silent auction. Food trucks will be available and trick or treating is scheduled.
The event is hosted by the campground to raise funds for the Frisco-Buxton Pathway project.
In the dunk tank are Steve Jones, owner of Tavern on 12, Buster Barnett at 12:30, owner of Frisco Woods Campground at 12:30 p.m.; Stacey Saunders, Manager of the campground; and Cape Hatteras Secondary School’s baseball coach Keith Durham at 1:30 p.m. All former and current Hurricane baseball players are encouraged to practice throwing to dunk the coach.
– The Wheeler and Mogieannah Austin Family will gather Saturday at the Hatteras Village Community Building to share food and family stories. Gathering time begins at 10 a.m. and Hatteras fare prepared by Sharon Peele Kennedy will be served around noon.
– On Saturday, Hatteras Island Meals will draw the winners of its fall raffle. This raffle funds the valuable service that the volunteers of Hatteras Island Meals provide. That service is delivering noontime meals to homebound folks in every island village. The raffle drawing is scheduled for 1 p.m. at NC 12 Realty, located at 47361 NC 12, Osprey Shopping Center in Buxton.
– On Oct. 22, the North Carolina Beach Buggy Association’s Red Drum Tournament caps off a week of tournament fishing.
The Beach Buggy tournament features 60 hours of surf-fishing along Hatteras Island’s east-facing beaches from Ramps 23 (which is now open to beach drivers) to 43. While online registration is closed, in person registration starts at 8 a.m. Wednesday at Frank and Fran’s and runs through 8 p.m.
Fishing starts at midnight Thursday, Oct. 20 and finishes at noon, Saturday, Oct. 22.
This tournament has attracted international visitors. Two German anglers, Michael Schramm and Sebastian Hesse, will team up with NCBBA member Tom Brueckner to fish the tournament.
The awards presentation happens at 3 o’clock on Saturday afternoon at Club Koru in Avon.
Earlier in the past week, on Oct. 15, Capital City Four Wheelers held its annual one-day fishing tournament that has drawn Virginia anglers to Hatteras Island for 36 years.
Starting Oct. 17, the Red, White and Blue Freedom tournament is sponsored by Frank and Fran’s Fisherman’s Friend in Avon.
– The Christian rock band Vintage Cross will appear in concert at the Family Life Center in Buxton across from the tennis courts at Cape Hatteras Secondary School. Teens and adults are invited to the free concert that starts at 7 p.m.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE COASTLAND TIMES TODAY!