Dare commissioners meet Monday
Published 6:01 pm Saturday, February 3, 2024
The Dare County Board of Commissioners meets Monday, Feb. 5, 2024 at 9 a.m. in the Commissioners Meeting Room, located at 954 Marshall C. Collins Drive in Manteo.
Several items of interest are on the agenda:
– A resolution to sponsor the Southern Hatteras Island Offshore Sand Assessment Study. Dare County would submit a grant application to identify sand sources for future beach nourishment events in Avon and Buxton. Total cost is $500,000, with a county match of $250,000. The beach nourishment fund has sufficient funding for the project, states the agenda sheet.
– Two resolutions about fishing. The first requests the North Carolina Marine Fisheries Commission hold a quarterly meeting in Dare County each year. The second resolution opposes proposed Amendment 2 to the Striped Mullet Fishery Management Plan “due to Outdated, Unreliable Data.”
– Financing for Dare County Early College. County manager Robert Outten will brief the board on the county’s Capital Improvement Planning Committee meeting. A debt calculation shows Dare County can borrow $25 million in calendar year 2024 and pay back without general fund monies or increase in property taxes.
– Dare Guarantee Scholarship. A request is made for the board to consider expanding the scholarship opportunity to individuals in Dare Challenge and to the individuals who participate in the Recovery Court Program.
– Manns Harbor Civic Association is asking Dare County’s Board of Commissioners to review four suggested modifications to reduce excessive speed through the intersection at the western end of the Virginia Dare Bridge.