Storm debris instructions for unincorporated Dare County
Dare County will provide storm debris pick-up in the unincorporated areas of the county.
With flooding from Tropical Storm Michael, many residents, property owners and business owners are now faced with undertaking the process of cleaning up and disposing of a wide variety of debris.
Dare County will provide storm debris pick-up in the unincorporated areas of the county. A schedule will be announced as soon as established. It is important for all debris to be sorted properly, as outlined below. Debris piles are to be set on the side of the road in the right of way. Please do not block driveways, storm drains or utilities.
Debris should be sorted as follows:
- Vegetative – This pile should consist of any yard debris such as tree limbs, leaves, pine straw or grass.
- Construction materials – This pile should consist of lumber, windows, doors, insulation, roofing, decking, cabinets, carpet, flooring, mattresses and furniture.
- Metal – This pile should consist of metal objects such as bikes, gas grills, metal lawn furniture and appliances. Examples are washers, dryers, refrigerators and stoves.
- Propane tanks – Propane tanks should be placed in a separate pile so that gas companies may retrieve them.
- Household Hazardous Waste – TVs, computers, used motor oil in spill proof containers and any pesticide or other chemicals should be placed in a separate pile.
Recycle as much as you can to reduce the amount of waste that goes to landfills. Everything from water bottles to electronics can be recycled at several locations.
Do not burn debris or trash as it can impact the air quality and create additional hazards.
For important tips and information to aid in storm clean-up, visit darenc.com/Michael.
Recycle if possible
Recycle as much as you can to reduce the amount of waste that goes to landfills. Everything from water bottles to electronics can be recycled at several locations. Locations are
- Dare County Public Works Compound, 1018 Driftwood Dr., Manteo
- Stumpy Point: Community Center, Bayview Dr.
- Rodanthe-Waves-Salvo Recycling Center, Rodanthe Harbor
- Buxton Transfer Station, Buxton Back Rd., Buxton