Cluster housing approved for Rodanthe, report on Monday
A second site plan and conditional use permit for cluster housing have been approved for Hatteras Island.
On April 1, Dare’s commissioners gave the go-ahead for six single-family dwellings on oceanside land adjacent to North Beach Campground in Rodanthe.
Jeffrey Gutmann owns the property and is the developer. The structures are limited to 1,200 square feet conditioned space and cannot be occupied or rented on a short-term basis, which is less than 30 days.
The project uses zoning changes adopted in October 2018. The changes encourage year-round or workforce housing.
At the Dare Board of Commissioners meeting on Monday, April 15, planning director Donna Creef will deliver a progress report about the amendments and outline some additional options.
Under the October amendments, two cluster home projects, both on Hatteras Island, have been approved. The projects have total of nine structures.
No permits have been issued for accessory dwelling units, duplexes or multi-family structures.
One of the options Creef outlines addresses the expressed need for faculty and student housing to support ECU Coastal Studies Institute, Dare County Board of Education and College of The Albemarle.
Creef suggests an overlay district could be applied to specific sites identified for educational housing. Such a district could include multi-family and single family housing regulations.
East Carolina University is expanding its programming at the Coastal Studies Institute. Faculty and student housing is needed for those working and attending the Wanchese campus.
College of The Albemarle will also be expanding programming offerings and housing is needed for additional faculty members.
A waiting list exists for teacher housing, managed by the Dare County Education Foundation. On April 9, the Dare County School Board adopted recommended residential rental contract amendments. Changes:
– Clarify one pet per unit (dog or cat only)
– Restate a 48-month limitation on tenancy
– Close a loophole about subletting or using as an Airbnb
– Require a background check for residents and roommates and approval prior to occupancy
– Require tenants to pay any additional damages beyond the amount of the held security deposit
Additional items on the Board of Commissioners meeting agenda for April 15 are:
– Governor’s volunteer service awards
– Dare Soil and Water Conservation District report
– MedCost Medical Insurance
– Request to fill a ditch in Buxton
– Health and Human Services Building expansion and renovations