• 70°

Judge halts new North Carolina absentee ballot witness info rule

By Jonathan Drew, Associated Press

A federal judge has halted new North Carolina absentee voting rules that gave voters more leeway to fix witness problems and extended the period when elections boards could accept mailed-in ballots.

The rules, issued last week in a settlement with voting rights advocates, were blocked by a temporary restraining order issued Saturday by U.S. District Judge James Dever, who raised concerns about changing rules after numerous ballots have already been cast. Saturday’s decision comes amid a tangle of litigation in state and federal court over absentee ballots in the key presidential battleground.

Dever raised concerns that the changes, which have been sharply criticized by Republicans, could violate equal protection rights and dilute the weight of ballots cast under pre-existing rules contained in state law. Dever noted that when the North Carolina State Board of Elections announced on Sept. 22 that it was revising the procedures, more than 150,000 people had already cast ballots. North Carolina was the first state to kick off absentee balloting on Sept. 4.

“At bottom, the (state elections board) has ignored the statutory scheme and arbitrarily created multiple, disparate regimes under which North Carolina voters cast absentee ballots,” he wrote.

The revised rules allowed voters who cast absentee ballots with incomplete witness information to fix the problems by returning an affidavit, rather than starting the ballot over and having it witnessed again. North Carolina law, which legislators updated over the summer in response to the pandemic, requires one witness for an absentee ballot.

During a hearing Friday, Dever asked lawyers from the state attorney general’s office whether the new procedure essentially eliminated the witness requirement.

Alexander Peters, a lawyer representing the state board, argued that the county officials who would receive the voter’s affidavit responding to the deficiency would stand in for the witness, drawing a retort from the judge.

“They’re not really witnessing it. They’re seeing a piece of paper,” Dever said Friday.

Dever also halted an updated rule that would have allowed county boards six more days to accept mailed-in ballots that arrived after Election Day, as long as they were postmarked by Nov. 3.

Dever was presiding over lawsuits by Republican legislative leaders and President Donald Trump’s campaign that argued the North Carolina State Board of Elections had usurped the power of lawmakers and lessened the weight of ballots cast before the rule change.

Dever’s ruling also transferred those two cases for further review to another North Carolina-based federal judge who’s hearing a related case and has scheduled a hearing for this week. U.S. District Court Judge William Osteen has also expressed concern that the revised ballot rules would essentially eliminate the witness requirement, which he upheld in a previous ruling.

The rule changes had stemmed from a separate lawsuit in state court by voting rights advocates who argued that the state’s absentee ballot requirements were too restrictive in the middle of the pandemic. A legal settlement containing the rules was approved by a state judge Friday, but the procedures have been suspended by Dever’s order.

More than 340,000 North Carolina absentee ballots had been accepted as of Saturday, according to the state board, out of a total of 1.1 million ballots requested.

The state attorney general’s office noted Saturday that Dever’s ruling is temporary and hopes to have voting rules settled soon.

“We hope the protracted litigation will soon come to an end so that voters will have the certainty and the ability to vote safely that they deserve as we move into the final few weeks of the election,” spokeswoman Laura Brewer said in an email.

Republican State House Speaker Tim Moore and State Senate leader Phil Berger, who filed one of the lawsuits Dever considered, hailed his decision and blamed Democrats including Attorney General Josh Stein and Gov. Roy Cooper for what they described as a secretive scheme to change voting rules.

“Judge Dever restored sanity into this election by temporarily blocking the eleventh-hour rule changes to undo absentee ballot fraud protections,” Berger said.

READ ABOUT MORE NEWS AND EVENTS HERE.

RECENT HEADLINES:

Sen. Thom Tillis tests positive for COVID-19

Hyde County included in governor’s request for Isaias help

News

Dare students go back to school Monday

News

New welding lab opened at College of The Albemarle’s Dare campus

Lifestyles

North Carolina Zoo featured in new Nat Geo WILD series

Lifestyles

Taking a dip at Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge

News

Applications open for new rent and utility assistance program

News

Visitation at Cape Hatteras National Seashore up again

Lifestyles

Nine Dare County employees receive service pins

Currituck

Currituck Extension holding hay bale decorating contest

Business

Company that maintains state-owned rest areas settles EEOC lawsuit

News

Buxton fire claimed lives of four, county confirms

News

Manteo Planning Board paves the way for COA project, but questions remain

Currituck

Feeling festive? Enter Currituck Extension’s fall arrangement contest

Lifestyles

FOCUS: Rods on the Run

News

Coast Guard confirms family of active duty member unaccounted for in Buxton fire

News

Four people unaccounted for after early morning structure fire in Buxton

News

Dare school board delves into back-to-school set up

News

Object on Buxton beach determined to be live military ordnance

News

Dare County Finance Department receives award for excellence in financial reporting

News

Mascots stay the same at Manteo schools

News

Potential unexploded ordnance found on Cape Hatteras National Seashore beach in Buxton

News

Kill Devil Hills approves rear yard setback change

News

North Carolina to remain in Phase 3

News

Five positive COVID-19 tests reported among Neuse River ferry staff

News

COVID-19 cases on the rise