Mended Wing Theatre Co. brings Shakespeare’s ‘The Comedy of Errors’ to the Outer Banks
Published 8:17 pm Thursday, May 19, 2022
Mended Wing Theatre Co., founded by UNCSA alumni and featuring current students in the School of Drama, will present Shakespeare’s “The Comedy of Errors” for school age children in 15 public parks and public schools throughout North Carolina May 17-26. The company’s fifth season hits the Outer Banks with several performances starting May 21.
Founded in 2017 by two alumni of the School of Drama at UNCSA, Mended Wing Theatre Co. has presented Shakespeare annually for kids in public schools and communities across the southeastern United States, reaching more than 5,000 students to date.
This year’s highly energetic production of Shakespeare’s off-the-wall farce features six young actors who are current students at the School of Drama at UNCSA, each in multiple roles, and is directed by UNCSA alum Emmet Temple (H.S. Drama ‘13, Drama Directing ‘17).
“After a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are thrilled that Mended Wing will be back in our home state of North Carolina for our fifth season,” said Temple, co-founder of Mended Wing who will also serve as production manager for the tour. “When kids are exposed to Shakespeare the way that his plays were meant to be experienced – as live performance – they not only understand that specific play, and Shakespeare’s language better, they are also given a key into a whole set of other cultural references that stem from Shakespeare’s lasting influence on our culture.”
Free local public performances include:
- Dowdy Park, 3005 S Croatan Hwy., Nags Head, Saturday, May 21 at 5:30 p.m.
- Duck Amphitheater, 1200 Duck Rd., Duck, Sunday, May 22 at 5 p.m.
- Baum Senior Center, 300 Mustian St., Kill Devil Hills, Monday, May 23 at 6 p.m.
- Fessenden Center, 46830 NC 12, Buxton, Tuesday, May 24 at 5:30 p.m.
- Dare County Arts Council, 300 Queen Elizabeth Ave., Manteo, Wednesday, May 25 6 p.m.
- OPS Museum, 49 Water Plant Rd, Ocracoke, Thursday, May 26 at 6 p.m.
School performances include:
- Mattamuskeet Middle and High School, Swan Quarter, Friday, May 20
- First Flight Middle and High School, Kill Devil Hills, Monday, May 23
- Water’s Edge Village School, Corolla, Tuesday, May 24
- Ocracoke School, Ocracoke, Thursday, May 26
Cast members include Jack Elliott, UNCSA Drama ‘24, Antipholus of Syracuse/Antipholus of Ephesus; Jack Eld, UNCSA Drama ‘24, Dromio of Syracuse/Dromio of Ephesus; Iman Starks, UNCSA Drama ‘24, Adriana/Sailor, Emma Fagin, UNCSA Drama ‘25, Luciana/Officer; Harvaniya Krishnan, UNCSA Drama ‘24, Angelo//Pinch; Clover Ivey, UNCSA Drama ‘23, Merchant/Abbess